Wednesday, October 10, 2018

My Thoughts on Unferth (Chapter 6)

     After that talk with the dragon that I had a while back, I think I have finally found purpose in my life. I killed my first human (well, let me say it was on accident when he spotted me and I had to think quickly, but hey it still counts) and had my first attack with the Thanes! Luckily, the dragon granted me a spell to not be hurt by weapons, and at that point I knew I had to go further. Then on the next night, I started terrorizing the humans for the first time, like full on this time, and it was fantastic! On that night I really feeling myself and everything was great, but let me tell, this guy named Unferth is something I've never seen before. I starts off with this long boring speech, and then I start talking back, and then he tries to "puzzle out my speech" (83). I know I'm a monster, but then does not mean I do not talk and I just attack all the time! Anyways, I think he is a total idiot, wanting to call himself a hero to be remembered and stuff, and he just starts running to attack me from the other side of the mead hall. So to get back at him, I find a ton of apples and just start throwing them at him (get it, because Unferth is an idiot, and apples mean knowledge, and.....never mind). He starts crying and the whole sight was just outright hilarious. I could not believe someone so naive and neurotic would dare call himself a hero like that in front of me.

     So a couple of days pass and I'm relaxing in my cave when all of a sudden Unferth comes in. He literally swam all the way to the bottom of this deep lake just to say visit me. At first I don't know what to do, so I choose to listen. Unferth starts talking about how he is challenging me, but since nobody knows he went down to my cave, it shows inner heroism. I first off think that Unferth said he wanted to be remembered by all a couple days ago, so does Unferth realize he is contradicting himself? All I say is that I am not going to fight him and I'll return to land, and Unferth gets angry about it, obviously. Unferth is already tired enough and "relaxed and lay flat" out of exhaustion, so I just brought him back to land after all that (90). Now every time I attack the Thanes, Unferth always tries to attack me, but I always find a way to let him live (I know, I'm BAD). It's just so sad to see how people can believe that people will be able to follow good morals. I've just become so skeptical on these many men who are so hypocritical and neurotic men that I have taken to be enemies. I don't claim to be all knowing like that dragon, but I do reserve the rights to have my doubts. Anyways, I'm done for the night. I'll be back tomorrow!

These are what some of the Thanes look like, just for reference! 😊

Here is also a fun video that explains this whole situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHzr7YcCct4
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Works Cited

Gardner, John. "Chapter 6." Grendel, Random House, 1971, pp. 83, 90.

Kretschmer, Albert, et al. "Costumes of All Nations (1882)." painting. Wikimedia Commons, 20 Oct. 2010, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A.D._500-1000,_Anglo-Saxons_-_022_-_Costumes_of_All_Nations_(1882).JPG. Accessed 10 Oct. 2018.

NordanJordan. "Grendel Chapter 6." YouTube, 19 Sept. 2009, www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHzr7YcCct4. Accessed 10 Oct. 2018.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you talk about Grendel in first person, and it seems that you really have an understanding on what he sees. I like how your quotes tie in well, in both of your paragraphs, and the example fits great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you speak in a way that Grendel would speak (not using the correct grammar, etc.). It really helps me see it from Grendel's view instead of a person writing it for him. It's also really funny how you make Grendel talk like he's a teenager and him trying to bring in jokes that people wouldn't understand since he's constantly misunderstood. I think you should include that after awhile, the spell made Grendel unhappy since he made him even more different than the humans. I would also show that Grendel wasn't happy this entire chapter, yes he has a grand time mocking these men but I think you should include what Grendel is really feeling deep down. For example: the dragon affected him in many other ways, not just the spell, how do you think the other actions/words of the dragon have affected Grendel. He decides to not kill Unferth, but what does he decide to do to the rest of the men?

    ReplyDelete