We eventually make it to the mead hall and everyone is there. As we keep sitting with the Danes, I notice how these people "were not pleased" with my men and I (159). I knew that this vibe would mean nasty trouble for me. Then, Unferth comes to speak to me, and he grabs the attention of everyone in the mead hall. He accuses me of losing to a swimming match with my friend, Brecca, and most of the people there agreed with him on his hatred towards me. I can tell Unferth is trying to get some heroic glory in this moment, and I smile to him as I internally process my next play. I need to jab back at him with something harder that he would not expect. Then I remember how Unferth killed his brother. I keep smiling and speak soft for these people not to notice anything strange, and then I let loose. I left the entire mead hall silent, and I finally won over Hrothgar's kingdom! Hrothgar is saying I am like a son to him. Now everyone goes to sleep in the mead hall, and I am the only one who stays. I have to wait for the beast to arrive. My free will has guided me to here and there is no turning back.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Works Cited
Gardner, John. "Chapter 11." Grendel, Random House, 1971, pp. 153, 159.
"Heorot at the start of the film." Photograph. An Historian Goes to the Movies, 9 Nov. 2015, aelarsen.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/beowulf-shame-on-you-neil-gaiman/. Accessed 17 Oct. 2018.
Mug94. "Epic Rap Battles of History - Beowulf Vs Unferth." YouTube, 19 Nov. 2011, www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bB1U9RSYJo. Accessed 17 Oct. 2018.

No comments:
Post a Comment