This past week has been quite interesting. Read my blog below to find out how it all went down.

Recently I left my home on a quest to a land in need of my help. I have traveled far and wide across the seas. I have come to this new, strange land, hoping to defeat the terrible monster that has been tormenting these innocent people for years.
Earlier in the day we came with a clever plan to defeat this monster called Grendel. It goes like this: First, we will all pretend to be asleep in the mead hall, quietly laying down. Next, when the monster least expects it, I will jump up and attack him. By the time he figures out that “it’s a trick” (168), I will already have the upper hand in the battle. The only problem with our plan is that, there is a great possibility that two of our men will die. While that is unfortunate, their deaths will be for the good of the people and will help to build their legacy for others to learn about. We decide to wait until nighttime to act out the plan as sleeping at night will be more believable than sleeping during the day.
The plan goes very well. Grendel slowly creeps into the mead hall, unaware of what will happen next. I attach him after he devours the first two men causing him “searing pain”(168) on his body. I next “twist [his] arm behind [his] back”(169), strangely enjoying the pain and suffering Grendel is feeling. I notice a new color in myself for I have never before deeply enjoyed causing a creature significant pain. At first I deny myself of this feeling because heroes are not supposed to feel this way. It would cause the people to think that I am a villain or mentally unstable person and yet I enjoy the adrenaline rush.
Citations
“Beowulf vs Grendel.” DeviantArt, www.deviantart.com/thefool432/art/Beowulf-vs-Grendel-42151568.
“Beowulf vs. Grendel Rap Battle.” YouTube, Billy McAllister, 8 May 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV05dVOx9JE.
Gardner, John. Grendel. Gollancz, 2015.
No comments:
Post a Comment